The Acrid Smell...

Suddenly my world seemed dark

My eyes couldn't see the slightest ray of light.

An acrid smell suffocated me,

And I could not breathe.

There was fire.....

An intense fire all over my face.

The fire, that I could feel,

Consuming me.

Melting away my glass skin

Drop by drop.

Burning my world, all in a moment...

Piercing me with a pain,

That I never knew existed.

I shouted....or, did I???

My lips seemed heavy....

Unable to move, unable to part

And my favourite pink lipstick that I had put on

Was perhaps charred.....forever.

And then the fire dribbled down,

To stab my neck...

My shoulders...

With the rage of a thousand knives,

Reaching down into my flesh

Ruthlessly gnawing away bits of me.

They came up with water and ice....

And I could hear distant sirens

But by then......everything had changed.

One moment, and I wasn't me anymore...


Even my demons were scared

As I faced the mirror for the first time in months.

That face...........was that mine??

Those eyes......those lips.......

And.....and....my nose.....

Shrieking in horror, I tried hiding into the depths of the darkness

That had already flooded my life.

The darkness, that seemed more welcome

Than the broad daylight, that haunted me like a ghost

Mocking at my very existence....

Killing me every moment, 

With my own images, that reflected everywhere I would try to hide.

Images, that I hated to see...

Images, that scared me....

That reminded of my past and my present.

I tried to hide myself behind my veil...

But the wind seldom listened.

I tried to put an end to my miseries....

But Life seldom agreed.

I tried to die.

But.........


And then began my fight...

The fight to live again.

The fight to heal my soul

Broken.

Betrayed.

Charred.

The fight to feel beautiful.

The fight......that nobody knew

The pain....that nobody felt

The tears...that nobody saw

Because it was all mine

And mine alone.

They offered me sympathy

But nobody offered me love.

They offered me condolences

But nobody offered me happiness.

They asked me not to weep

But nobody wiped my tears.

They asked me to stay strong

But nobody told me how.

They were all around me

But I was all alone...

Being stared at, talked about...

Waiting like a phoenix, to rise again, someday.

.

.

.

Today, when I smile at the mirror

Flaunting my favourite outfit,

I find a new me staring back...

A new me, who is imperfectly beautiful.

My disfigured face....

My charred skin...

My new nose..

My new lips.....

They all fit in perfectly with those two eyes

Burning with new dreams.

Burning with self love.

Burning with hopes of starting afresh.

My tears have given place to a newfound fire

That lits up my soul with a new light.

Nightmares don't haunt me anymore,

And people have stopped staring, too.

And yet........

Somewhere, deep down,

Some unfathomed part of my heart

Still lets out a shiver...

Somewhere, some unknown fear still grips me hard,

Whenever I come across that acrid smell.....

The same acrid smell of ACID.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Within My Heart You Live...

Dear November...

Within the Grave.....