The Cage...

 I looked back at the cage where I had once lived 

Its gate, still open, welcoming me back in.

Its bars, made of pure gold

Glistened in the evening sun.

The vines around it bloomed with wild flowers,

And...their fragrance seemed irresistible.

The cage, that still swings with the winds, was my world.....

.............and I wanted to go back.


I wanted to go back to where I knew I'ld be safe,

To the world, that I was used to.

To the world, where I had not had a single worry.

This newly gained freedom seemed scary

And I was scared to learn to fly.

I was scared to venture into the unknown.

I knew that the future awaited me..

A beautiful future...amidst the blue skies and green boughs...

In a world, where I had always craved to live...

The life, that was my dream.....till I got caged.

And this life seemed scary.

The flight outside seemed exhausting.

I knew I had to learn my all lessons afresh..

Those, long forgotten...long left behind..

And suddenly, I wasn't sure, if I really wanted to live in those palaces of cumulus clouds

No matter, how inviting they seemed.


No, my cage was better....

Even though life was stagnant

I had survived without a complaint.

Even though I wasn't happy

Life was easier.

Even though this was something I had never wanted

Even though this was something I had never asked for

I had learnt to live with it.

A life of ephemeral joys and some forced smiles...

Spent singing the songs that I had been taught to sing, long ago, by someone I didn't even know...

And today, when the time has come to call out to the winds from the depths of my heart

All I had was a void

And some melodies, I had long wanted to unlearn.


But then, the sky seems so inviting today..

With her azure taking up the hues of purple and orange

And her feathery clouds playing hide and seek with the setting sun

As the moon shyly walks into the myriad of colours

Beautifully sequined, by randomly scattered stars.

Like a new world.....full of happiness

A world, where dreams come true.

A world, that embraces the unknown

A world, that awaited me with open arms...


And here I sit, alone, by my open cage

Not knowing where to go...

Not knowing what to choose...

Life was always unfair,

But probably, not more than this.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Within My Heart You Live...

Dear November...

Within the Grave.....